Dal Makhani is the queen of dal stew.
This recipe for the dal makhani originally comes from the Punjabi kitchen and is prepared with lots of butter ( Makhani means butter in Hindi).
The Vegan Version That Will Confuse the Butter Lovers
Same as always, there is no reason why vegans would not enjoy this amazing dish.
So here is the vegan version.
The following recipe is completely vegan and tastes not far from the original,
the coconut cream gives a milky and buttery feeling and can easily confuse the butter lovers.
The dish is rich in beans that as you know are rich in fibers, and minerals like zinc, calcium, iron, potassium, and phosphorus.
They are also rich in B vitamins, including folic acid and thiamine.
It is healthy, nutritious, and delicious!
Ingredients for the Dal Makhani(6 servings)
- 300 grams of black lentils soaked in water for 6 hours and cooked separately in water until they are very soft.
- 200 grams of black beans soaked in water for 6 hours and cooked separately in water until they are very soft.
- 200 grams of red beans soaked in water for 6 hours and cooked separately in water until they are very soft.
- 1 big onion chopped to small cubes.
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 medium ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- A tablespoon of whole cumin seeds
- A tablespoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1-1.5 chopped fresh chili
- 1 tablespoon red paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons organic mashed tomato
- 3 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut cream
- Salt, to taste
- In a deep, wide frying pan, heat the coconut oil.
- Add the onion and fry until browned.
- Add the garlic and spices.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes, add the tomatoes and cook while stirring for 4-5 minutes.
- When the sauce is thick and solid add 1 cup of water and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the lentils and the beans and mix well.
- Add another glass of water and the mashed tomatoes.
- Stir for 4-5 minutes then add the coconut cream and mix well.
- Cover and cook over low flame heat for an hour.
In the dal makhani recipe, the lentils and beans need to be soaked and cooked which is a rather long process.
I usually prepare them ahead and store them in the freezer,
so when I wish to make this recipe it would be spontaneous.
It is best to serve the dish with rice so that it would contain a whole protein.
Those who like potatoes can add it to the dish.
Before serving, it is recommended to apply chopped fresh coriander, and 2 tablespoons of coconut cream.